YOU HAVE you’ve seen them, you’ve heard of them… but have you tried them? Here are some recipes that have gone viral on TikTok that are worth trying.
BAKED FETA PASTA
For an easy weeknight pasta dish that’s both simple and tasty, try making this Baked Feta Pasta with Bright Cherry Tomatoes. The dish has gone viral because it’s made with just a handful of ingredients and your oven will do most of the magic.
-> 5 cups of cherry tomatoes
-> 1 shallot, diced
-> 4 minced garlic cloves
-> ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (reserve 1 tbsp for drizzling)
-> ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
-> ¼ tsp sea salt
-> A block of Feta cheese
-> 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
-> 125g of dry pasta of your choice
-> The zest of 1 lemon
-> ¼ cup packed chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C. In a baking dish, combine the cherry tomatoes, shallot, garlic, olive oil, salt and red pepper flakes.
2. Place the feta in the center of the baking dish and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Scatter the thyme sprigs over the tomatoes and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the tomatoes burst and the feta is golden brown on top.
3. While waiting for the cheese and tomato, cook the pasta until al dente according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup pasta cooking water before draining.
4. When cheese and tomato are done, add cooked pasta, reserved pasta water and lemon zest and stir until combined before garnishing with basil.
Jello raisins are perfect for a hot day. Not only are they easy to make, but the refreshing yet sweet dessert that will refresh you. They’re light, fun and tangy – just what you need to cool off in the heat! But beware, it’s super addictive!
-> 200 g of grapes
-> 1 sachet of jelly powder
1. Rinse the fresh grapes and remove the stems from the fruits.
2. Put the grapes in a plastic container. Don’t worry about patting the skin of the fruit dry, as any water on the skin will help the jelly mixture stick to the fruit.
3. Pour the jelly powder over the grapes.
4. Close the container and shake until the powder is evenly coated.
5. Freeze for 1 hour or until frozen and you’re done!
LASAGNA SOUP IN A POT
Ever wanted to make great, trendy Italian comfort food without the laborious 20-step process? Well, One Pot Lasagna Soup is perfect for you! This is a quick and easy recipe perfect for weeknights after work.
-> 1 tablespoon of olive oil
-> 1 small onion, diced
-> 2 minced garlic cloves
-> 500g Italian sausage, cut
-> 4 cups of chicken broth
-> 800g canned crushed tomatoes
-> 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
-> 3 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
-> 2 tablespoons of sugar
-> 9 lasagna noodles, broken into small pieces
-> 1/4 cup heavy cream
-> 1 cup ricotta cheese
-> 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
-> 1/3 cup grated parmesan
-> 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
-> Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes.
2. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
3. Add the sausage and cook the meat for about 5 minutes until no longer pink.
4. Add broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings, salt and pepper to taste, and sugar, and stir to combine.
5. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes with the pan covered.
6. Add the lasagna pieces to the pan before stirring and re-covering. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
7. Once the pasta is cooked, stir in the heavy cream. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan and basil.
8. Serve the soup with a scoop of this mixture on the side with chilli flakes and voila!
MOCHI ICE CREAM
Mochi is a soft Japanese dessert made from mochiko. In the traditional way of making mochi, the sweet rice is pounded over and over again until it becomes the dessert, but in this recipe you won’t need a wooden mallet to do that. Instead, you’ll be using a microwave. Be sure to use good ice cream to get the most flavor!
-> 2+4 scoops of ice cream
-> ⅓ cup mochiko
-> Maizena or potato starch for dusting
1. Put two scoops of ice cream in a microwave-safe bowl and melt your ice cream completely by microwaving it at 30-second intervals, checking each time.
2. Once the ice cream has melted, make sure the ice cream mixture does not burn before adding the mochiko into the melted ice cream and stir well with a whisk.
3. Wrap the bowl and poke holes in the cling film with a fork.
4. Microwave the mixture for 1 minute before taking it out, stir it and microwave it for another 45 seconds.
5. Sprinkle the workspace with starch and place the sticky dough on the starch. Start kneading and roll out the gummy mixture. Add more starch if needed so it doesn’t stick to your hands.
6. After flattening the dough to about 7mm thick, cut it into 4 equal pieces.
7. Add a scoop of ice cream to the gummy dough and quickly roll it up. Do the same for the other 3 pieces.
8. Place wrap pinched side down and freeze for 2 hours and you’re done!