Thanksgiving is fast approaching. Here are some ways to give and receive food assistance during the holiday season.
The San Antonio Food Bank is running out of turkeys for Thanksgiving meals.
The food bank sees near-record requests for holiday help at a time of supply chain shortages and rising food prices in grocery stores.
Food Bank is asking the public to donate non-perishable food at any branch of the Federal Credit Union Security Service … or in red barrels outside of Goodwill stores or grocery stores HEB.
The food bank is also asking for monetary donations. A $ 15 donation can provide a turkey during the holidays.
Information on donations and volunteers can be found at SAFoodBank.org.
San Antonio Natatorium
WHEN: From November 1 to 30 during opening hours
OR: San Antonio Natatorium (1430 W Cesar E Chavez Blvd), Barrera Fitness Center (5800 Enrique M Barrera Pkwy)
WHAT: Bring two non-perishable items and get free entry for swimming in the natatorium during opening hours.
Jacqueline Smith Foundation
WHEN: November 20 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
OR: Ella Austin Community Center, 1023 N Pine
WHAT: Donate your time or make monetary donations. The organization’s goal is to help 400 veterans, families and community members.
WHEN: November 24 from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
OR: Japanese sumo steakhouse, 8342 W I-10
WHAT: Help smoke turkeys, accept donations, and get ready for Thanksgiving Day. Volunteer shifts can last 1 hour or all day, and children are welcome.
WHEN: Monday November 22 and Tuesday November 23 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
OR: 710 New Laredo Highway
WHAT: The South Side nonprofit will offer turkeys and side dishes to create a complete Thanksgiving.
San Antonio Food Bank
WHEN: Open Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
OR: 5200, boulevard Enrique M. Barrera
Call 210-431-8326 for more information on food aid.
New Braunfels food bank
More pantries in the San Antonio area:
- Emergency aid program of the Agape ministry: Provides free food to people residing in the following zip codes: 78217, 78218, 78239, 78209, 78219, 78233, 78244, 78247 and 78154. Located at 127 Lanark, San Antonio, Texas 78218. Open 10 am to 11 am 30 in the morning and again from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Basic needs: Provides free grocery bags, household and personal hygiene items and more. Located at 103 Macrae, Kirby, Texas 78219.
- CAM social services: Provides emergency food boxes, as well as holiday meals. Located at 110 McCullough and open 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to noon Friday.
- Guadalupe Community Center: Provides different levels of assistance programs, as well as holiday meals. Located at 1801 W Durango, San Antonio, TX 78207. Open weekdays 9 am to 6 pm. Food distribution takes place from 9 a.m. to noon.
- Meals and activities for all seniors Full emergency assistance: Offers food and other assistance in ZIP codes 78101, 78108, 78109, 78124, 78148, 78150, 78152, 78154, 78233 (Live Oak) 78239 (Windcrest) and 78263. Located at 250 Donlan, Converse, Texas 78109. Open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays.
Inman pantry: Provides emergency assistance from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on weekdays. Located at 1214 Colima, San Antonio, Texas 78207.
Provides free food to people residing in the following postal codes: 78217, 78218, 78239, 78209, 78219, 78233, 78244, 78247 and 78154