The organization partners with Stone Horse Farm and Thorganic Farms to help low-income families; First deliveries scheduled for June 22
WEEKLY FRESH FOOD
I am pleased to announce that Fresh Food Weekly has officially launched our monthly meal box delivery program for low-income families living in Barrie.
We partnered with Lisa Peterson of Stone horse farm; she also runs the Thornton Farmers Market and administers the Local Farmhouse Cuisine at the Barrie Family group. We’ve also teamed up with Kari and Mike Madden, owners of Thorganic farms at Thorton.
Our monthly meal box program is the result of our two successful runs at Christmas and Easterand now we want to continue doing them every month in the future.
Each month we will assemble a box of local and fresh food and to start we are creating 50 meal boxes per month. Additionally, they can only be purchased in the name of a low-income family living in Barrie, and so each month we will raise enough funds to cover their costs.
Thanks to Lisa and Kari, who have already established a network of farmers and food businesses in our area, we are able to include products such as milk, cheese, eggs, butter, meat, fruits and vegetables, as well as bakery breads and desserts, at reduced prices. This allows us to sell our meal boxes at a phenomenal price!
Our first monthly delivery date is June 22, 2022 and these 50 meal boxes are worth $75 but selling for only $37! In each of these meal boxes, we’ve included all the ingredients to make homemade burger patties (each box will also include a burger patty recipe), as well as a number of side vegetables and desserts:
– 4L of Natrel 2% milk (from Costco)
– 1 dozen farm-fresh eggs (from family farm)
– 1 lb butter (from Alliston Creamery)
– 1 piece of mild Gouda cheese (from Continental specialties and imports)
– 2 pounds ground beef (from Thorganic Farms)
– 1 liter vegetable soup broth (bone broth from Stone Horse Farms)
– Bakery bread (from Barrie’s Don’s Bakery and Caldense Bakery)
– Desserts (from Don’s Bakery)
– 2 lbs of onions (of Dominion produce farms)
– 2 lb carrots (from Dominion Produce Farms)
– Garlic (EFT Farms)
– 2 pounds of apples (EFT Farms)
– 1 lb of asparagus (Kerry Yamamoto)
– Bottle of Terry’s hot sauce (from Terry’s Unique Hot Sauce)
– Japanese style breadcrumbs (from Costco)
I am absolutely thrilled to be able to offer all of these items at such an incredible price. I want to thank everyone who helped make this all possible — It totally blows my mind! If you would like to purchase one of these lunch boxes on behalf of a low-income family in Barrie, please wire transfer $37 to Lisa Peterson at [email protected], or by credit card by phone at 705-241-7772.
If you would like to purchase fresh, local food for yourself, please see the Farm-to-Family Barrie local rate online catalog for a full list of items!